If you want to succeed online, the blog should be your best friend.
You’ll have to spend lots of time with it, keep it under constant surveillance and feed it at least once a week with new articles.
The posts that you can write on your blog take a different aspect depending on the context in which they are inserted. If you blog for business, your articles should be rich in useful content while, if it is a personal website, you may use a totally different tone and editorial line.
If you choose to start a blog for your business then, you’ll need to constantly work on it in order to succeed. It should be updated with fresh content, which is excellent for ranking well on search engines.
Be careful, taking care of a blog is not child’s play and writing for success is not easy, but these few tricks can help your blog climb to the top of Google results!
1. Before You Start a Blog, Define Your Target
The first step of any strategy is the creation of the buyer persona, or else, the generalized representation of your ideal client.
Analyzing precisely who are the people who are going to read your blog and eventually become your customers, allows you to understand exactly the topics that you are going to cover.
You can then set different basic components, such as the tone used for creating the content.
Do you need help with this? Here’s how to create detailed buyer personas for your business.
2. Create Original and Extremely Useful Content
Google is very smart, penalizing the content that is not original and leaving it lower and lower in the search results (not surprisingly, if you kill someone, the best place to hide him from anyone is the second page of Google results).
To create original content, you have to find a unique idea and an innovative approach to the content type: brings to light your point of view, with useful and practical tips, offer something extra that the others do not give.
If what you write can also be found elsewhere, it basically means it is not unique.
The more useful your articles will be, the higher the probability of conversion to your site.
3. Take Advantage of Marketing Psychology Techniques
Your goal is to make your visitors coming back after reading your blog posts or even better, convert them to subscribers or new customers.
To get to this point, you will need to use specific techniques, included structuring the content to attract them and adding always a call to action, for example at the end of the articles. The more you will be convincing in your posts, the better the chances to get a conversion.
Social proof (or testimonials, or else, feedbacks) are among the most commonly used formulas in the content, because if your users realize that other people have already used your product or service, they will be more likely to buy it too. In the online business the opinion of people is critical (TripAdvisor has founded his empire on this principle).
There are other techniques of persuasion that you can use, such as:
- Repetition: Reiterate the point, over and over again, repeating until it is clear;
- Reason why: It’s the motivation that drives people to listen to you;
- Concreteness: You should be convincing, because if you write something strong and you take a certain position, your writing is the only prop up your theory;
- Comparisons: To facilitate the reading of your content, you can use analogies and metaphors to facilitate understanding;
- Social acceptance: The sense of belonging is a need that the man has always had, there is no strongest motivation to persuade a person;
- Storytelling: This is something commonly used, as you know how important is to tell a story to capture the attention of your readers.
Persuasive communication is definitely a valuable ally to be included in your marketing plan, but it is just a small part of the strategy, because if it is true that it is very useful to attract the attention of your readers, then you have to get them to perform an action if you want to complete the conversion. As taught by the Inbound Marketing, after telling a good story, you have to guide the users to take action (CTA) and a well-designed landing page is what you need to increase your conversions.
4. Optimize Your Content for Search Engines
It is very difficult to succeed online if you can’t reach your audience and one of the most effective ways to do this, is via search engines.
For this reason, you need to optimize your content. Your aim should be reaching the top positions of Google and attract new visits that can be turned into customers.
Let’s see what are some of the techniques you can use to optimize your articles:
- include your keywords in the URL of your post;
- write a compelling title (H1) that will attract potential readers, with your keywords in it;
- use your keywords within the text (in a certain percentage – be sure to not overdo);
- use informal language, be understandable and do not use too complicated words;
- divide your text into paragraphs and use your keywords in the subheadings (H2, H3, etc);
- add compelling pictures, cite the source of these images and enter your keywords in the alt text;
- if you have relevant articles in your blog archive, add a link to them (internal linking);
- link to useful and interesting content outside of your blog (outbound links).
Another very important aspect of optimizing your blog for search engines is making it fast to load. Use the Google PageSpeed Insights tool to check your site status.
Creating a blog is very easy, but reaching success is quite another story.
Having a plan, using the right tools with specific techniques will allow you to increase the chances to build a killer blog!
What do you think?
Can you add something else?
Please share your thoughts in the comments below and do not forget to share the post, if you liked it. Thanks!