Planning to start a blog? Well, establishing a blog can be a daunting and time-consuming task. But sometimes it becomes a lot difficult to choose a blogging platform when there are many. And mainly when there are two best blogging platforms and one has to choose the best and start blogging. As we know that WordPress and Blogger are the Top blogging platforms so it becomes difficult to go with the one. So, I have come up with a post which can help you to choose a blogging platform for your blog. So, Let me start with my post about WordPress Vs. Blogspot.
Not only would you need to formulate strategies to promote and market your blog but also need to explore the ins and outs of the blogging platform you have selected? For a matter of fact, there are various options available in regards to blogging including Tumblr, Blogspot, and WordPress to name a few.
However, two of the most popular blogging platforms are WordPress and Blogspot, where both render a wide range of features and designs.
Thanks to the ever-growing popularity of WordPress and Blogspot, the most talked-about topic is WordPress vs. Blogspot.
In today’s post, we are going to do an in-depth WordPress and Blogspot comparison to help you understand. Which is the right platform for your blogging needs and requirements?
We will compare these two platforms on the basis of certain major factors and will also cover the pros and cons of using each platform.
Note: This comparison is between WordPress.org and Blogspot.com and not WordPress.com and Blogspot.
WordPress was introduced to not only give bloggers a more complicated blogging platform but also the freedom to establish a dynamic, visually stunning and fully functioning blogs. WordPress was created on MySQL and PHP by Automatic. The platform is suitable for both beginners as well as advanced users. It also boasts of a user-friendly and easy to use interface with amazing features. I have written post on that Why you should be using WordPress for your Blog or website and I think It will help you to better understand the WordPress.
- Gives bloggers a lot more control over the appearance, functionality, and content of the blog.
- Enables you to have a custom domain name, which looks more professional than a sub-domain of blogspot.com.
- Offers a wide range of themes and plugins to choose from. You can check this list of some essential Plugins which can help you to make a better WordPress site.
- We can create a child theme in WordPress theme with which we need not make changes again and again when we get the updates with current theme.
- You can make a Multilingual blog or website using some Plugins only. You can check a list of plugins which can help you to make a multilingual site in minutes.
- It provides the option to install the third party commenting plugin. I have collected a list of best commenting plugins, you can check that to choose one.
- The technical knowledge required to establish a self-hosted WordPress blog is little more than that required for a website like Blogger.
- You will also have to spend on hosting, but this will cost as low as $5 per month. I recommend you to buy hosting and domain from Bigrock which is best for starting a new blog.
Blogger was bought by Google in 2003 and made the website very useful for beginners. As a matter of fact, Blogger was first introduced in 1999 and considered as the first user-friendly interfaces.
Blogspot or Blogger is extremely useful when a user just wants to write content and share it on the internet. Moreover, if earning money from your blog is not your ultimate aim, Blogspot is an ideal choice for you.
There are, of course, various limitations of using Blogspot in regards to SEO benefit, functionalities, and design. But all in all, if you are looking for a platform to start from 0 cost, you can certainly choose Blogspot.
- Lets you establish a blog with zero cost
- Has a user-friendly and intuitive interface with amazing widgets
- Offers an assortment of free templates to choose from
- The site is highly secure and scarcely down for maintenance.
- It does not offer many options for more advanced users
- Does not come with post editing options and has minimal comments options
- Also, lack in high-end features
- The site also does not come with various customization options to allow users to customize the look and feel of their blog
Various factors to compare WordPress Vs. Blogspot
Blogspot is a blogging platform rendered by a big player in the online world, Google. It is reliable, free and enough to post your content on the web. Unfortunately, it is not owned by the user. Since it is owned by Google, it has the right to shut it or your access down anytime.
On the other hand, WordPress blog is owned by the user. Thus, the blogger has the right to either continue it or shut it down completely anytime. You own all the content and information present on it, and you control what information you would want to share with the third party.
Since Blogger is a Google’s software, you get the added benefit of Google’s powerful secure platform. With Blogspot, you do not need to bother about securing your blog, managing your server’s resources or creating full backups.
However, when it comes to WordPress security, the blogger is accountable for creating backups and maintaining its security. WordPress also offers various tools and plugins that make securing your website a lot easier.
Blogger offers limited support. You can get support in the form of user’s forum and basic documentation.
However, since WordPress has become a popular blogging system, it has an active community of users. You also get access to IRC chat rooms, community forums, and online documentation, where you can directly communicate to experienced WordPress developers and users for any WordPress related query.
Blogspot basically has not seen any major update for a long time. Also, Google has a record of shutting down its popular services like Adsense for feeds, Google Reader and the possible termination of FeedBurner. The future of Blogspot completely depends on Google and thus can be shut down anytime Google wants.
WordPress is a popular open-source platform which clearly indicates that its future does not rely on any particular individual or company. Moreover, it powers more than 24.7% of the websites and the figure seems to be only growing. Therefore, WordPress’s future is reassuring and bright.
WordPress Vs. Blogspot – SEO Perspective
You might be thinking that which platform is better when it comes to SEO. Well both a are good enough but I have a video which can help you explain better. In this video, Matt Cutts who was the head of the Webspam team shares his view about WordPress and Blogger. And I recommend you to check this video.
Matt Cutts himself uses WordPress Platform for his Personal blog.
And through My experience, I will also recommend you to use WordPress for better SEO. I have used both Blogspot and WordPress but WordPress has many SEO plugins and used by a large variety of functionality whereas Blogger has some limitation with SEO.
Finally, What I want to say:
Well, both of the WordPress and Blogger are good, Now I have compared the difference and similarity between both and it’s your will to go with the platform of your choice.
Also, I would love to know your opinion about this post through comments.