A lot of times your default search engine gets changed to a random site. It happens often due to the unsuspecting installation of third-party software. In addition, some browsers come with a less preferable default search engine. Moreover, you might want to change your default web browser based on specific preferences. To know your preferences you must know about various search engines and how they will serve you accordingly. There are at least a dozen or more popular search engines that are available in most web browsers. Let’s look at all the popular search engines in brief in the bulletin list below.
- Google: It holds a monopoly in the search engine market with over 78% global market share. It is simple, efficient and the search engine of choice for most people.
- Bing: Coming from Microsoft, Bing is the second most popular search engine. It loads the best of search results, only next to Google.
- Yahoo: If you are too familiar with the Yahoo search engine, it’s really hard to shift allegiances. It is still an efficient search engine to stick with, even in 2020.
- DuckDuckGo: DuckDuckGo lets you browse on the internet without getting tracked. Say goodbye to those annoying targeted ads.
- Ask: Formerly Ask Jeeves, Ask.com is currently powered by Google. It’s not a bad choice as a default search engine.
- AOL: A shadow of a once glorious search engine, it’s currently powered by Yahoo. It was once revered by the American population, whose acronym expands to America Online.
- Ecosia: It is a search engine with a cause. The German company donates 80% of its profits towards reforestation.
- Amazon: Amazon search engine allows you to browse products quickly. Moreover, they are expanding towards other sectors as well.
- Twitter: For the active twitter users, this search engine works like a charm. It looks more like a custom job than standard search engines.
- Wikipedia: It looks like a good addition to any browser. However, as a search engine, Wikipedia doesn’t do much.
Changing your default search engine in any web browser is as simple as 1-2-3. We will explain how to change the search engine in various web browsers in this post.
How to change the search engine in Chrome?
Click the three vertically stacked dots at the right top corner of the window. It is located just below the X button or next to the Google profile’s thumbnail. Browse to Settings and move to the Search engine menu. Use the drop-down option under the ‘Search engine used in the address bar to change your default search engine. By default, you have Google besides other options – Ecosia, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, and Bing. Under the section ‘Default browser’, it states whether you have Google Chrome as your default browser or not. When you click ‘Manage search engines, you can see all the Default search engines and Other search engines. You can add any search engine from the Other search engines list to the Default search engines. Using the search feature, you can directly check for your preferred search engine. Most of the search engines in the Other search engines list are results of your browsing behavior.
How to change the search engine in Edge?
Start with opening the IE browser. Go to the search engine website which you want to make as your default search engine. For instance, you can use the Google search engine URL to enter corresponding fields. Click on the three vertically stacked dots at the top right corner of the window. It is placed just below the X button. Slide down and click Settings. Under settings, scroll down to the bottom, revealing the Advanced settings menu. A click opens the View Advanced Settings menu. Once the Advanced Settings menu loads up scroll down and select the Privacy and services section. Click Change search engine menu just below where it’s shown Search in the address bar with. Explore all the search engines that show up. Select the one that you want to set as the default search engine and click Set as default. You can remove search engines that you don’t want to be on the list. Also, you can discover new search engines to be added to the list.
How to change the search engine in Firefox?
Load up the Mozilla Firefox browser. Click on the three vertically stacked dots at the top right corner of the window. You can find it right below the X button. From the dropdown menu, click Options, upon which a new window will load up. On the left side, you will find Search, indicated by the magnifying glass icon. Click and open the search options. Find the Default Search Engine menu and choose the drop-down menu, where it says Choose the default search engine to use in the address bar and search bar. You can choose the preferred search engine of choice from the dropdown below. You can check on provided search suggestions for your search engine to work more efficiently. You can also choose to Show search suggestions in the address bar results. In the One-Click Search Engines list, you can add search engines to be used as alternate search engines to appear below the search bar as well as the address bar, when you type in a keyword.
How to change the search engine in Safari?
Load up the Safari browser on your Desktop. Click on the Safari menu on the left top corner. Choose Preferences from the dropdown. From the preferences, window click on the drop-down menu adjacent to the Default search engine. Select the search engine you want to set as default. That’s it with a changing search engine on your desktop. Let’s discuss briefly changing the default search engine on the iPhone as well. Open Settings on your iPhone. Scroll down to the Safari button. It has a Safari logo with an advance arrow in it. Just under the Search menu in Safari settings, is the Search Engine menu. You should already have a default engine selected. When you click, all search engine options present themselves. Select the preferred option and wait till you see a blue checkmark placed in it. It signifies your selection of the default search engine.