The number of smartphone users worldwide has surpassed the magical three billion mark. Expect this number to boom to many more millions in the next few years too. A CNBC report recently revealed that the installed base would increase by 50 percent by 2025 to a staggering 6 billion devices. What’s more, the revenue generated from installations is expected to scale an unimaginable $355 billion!
These stats mean, now is the best time ever for businesses to invest in app development for their companies and potentially conquer the market. Businesses can develop various varieties of apps within the same organization for different customer types or internal staff, which can be the next big thing in the market or an app to step in the market trend.
Once you’ve finalized developing a mobile application for your business, the next step is to consider outsourcing the development process itself.
In this article, we’ll discuss mobile app outsourcing and how to do it in a streamlined manner:
WHAT IS MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT OUTSOURCING?
An in-house team for app development can be expensive. You’ll need specialists, provide your in-house employees with special equipment and cover all other expenses associated with the development process. Moreover, an in-house team often brings the scope of limited knowledge and experience.
Hence, many businesses today prefer to outsource their app development needs.
When you cannot create your app in-house, you could always rely on an outside agency to do it for you. This process of hiring a third party to fulfil services or job functions for a business is known as outsourcing. In simple terms, when you hire someone outside of your agency to develop a mobile application for your business is known as Mobile App Development Outsourcing.
STEPS TO SUCCESSFULLY OUTSOURCE MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT:
Know what you want to achieve with your product.
It’s crucial to have a product objective powered by its idea. A good company will always offer insights and analysis for your business needs, but it is essential to have a clear idea of the goals aligned with the company’s needs.
When you know what your product ought to do, it becomes easier to find the right outsourcing agency for mobile app development. It also gives enough time to focus on marketing the app idea itself.
Have a solid business outline for your app.
Having a map of the road is the first part of going on any journey. Create a strong business outline and map down the essential aspects of the product.
You must finalize internal benchmarks for the app’s success in traction, returns, and reach. You want your app to align with your company values and identity.
Once you have it all figured out, ask yourself these questions:
- What is the purpose of creating this app?
- What audience do you want to target?
- What problems do you want to resolve for the target users?
- Do you want to build an IOS or an Android app?
- What features would you like to add to the app?
Estimate your budget
Estimating the budget should be in your initial analysis process. The amount of your budget defines the quality of the app you develop. It will allocate different options available for you from offshore companies to off-the-shelf apps.
Ready-made mobile apps are the cheapest but offer minimal features.
On the other hand, custom apps provide a wide variety of features and complexity in the app. These are the apps that are high in cost but deliver what you want.
Prepare all technical and non-technical documents
Document the ideas and the plans before commencing the development phase. Get all technical documents in a place like a user manual, design-related files, statistical data on similar apps, etc., before going forward.
However, the most crucial documents required are non-technical documents such as the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and other business-related legal contracts to ensure the company’s safety and integrity.
FIND THE RIGHT LOCATION:
These are mobile app development companies located in the client’s country and can provide a clear communication line throughout the process. These companies will offer rates that are higher than all the other outsourcing options.
These are mobile app development companies that are located in offshore countries and constitute companies overseas. They are generally cheaper, but they can cause friction in the communication process due to differing time zones. Offshore outsourcing is beneficial cost-wise but adds an extra point of stress to the communication process. Ukraine and India, for example, are well-known countries for the offshore mobile app development process.
These are app development companies that are located in countries that are nearby the host country. The costs vary widely for such businesses depending on where they are based.
These are app development companies that tend to leverage both local and offshore work. This approach is a more balanced way to rely on the local services and save on costs with most of the bulk work done offshore.
FIND THE RIGHT COMPANY/PERSON:
Pick your team of developers
- Freelancers: These are developers who work independently from anywhere across the globe. A freelancer can work alone or in groups with other freelancers. This option is often an inexpensive one, but not many work in groups, and thus, you need to hire disparate teams for getting work done.
- App Development Agencies: This is more expensive, but it ensures that experts in each field do the job. From strategy to execution, everything is considered in a streamlined manner.
- Assess developers
- Create a shortlist of app development companies/freelancers and narrow it down to five that best suit your vision and needs.
- Please do thorough research about their work and evaluate their portfolios. Check their portfolio to analyze user experiences in mobile app development.
- Ensure the company has the required expertise and experience to leverage technologies.
- Check client reviews and testimonials of past clients about their services.
- Know if the company is passionate about the project.
- Know all project costs upfront. Read through the dotted line so that there are no hidden costs or taxes involved in the project.
- Communicate with the agency managers. It is essential to find a company that knows the importance of communication. The company should always be asking critical questions and be on the same page as you.
- Choose a pricing strategy:
- Fixed: In this business model, you need to have precise product specs and be sure they won’t change. The strategies and deadlines are fixed hence, concluding with a fixed price for the product. This model doesn’t allow any change, and developers might have to forgo specific issues to meet deadlines.
- Time and materials: This model enables you to have modifications and adjustments in your plans throughout the development process. The final price is not predictable, but the product undoubtedly improves quality and becomes creative.
Outsourcing mobile app development can be the best choice when you are low on financial resources or when you do not have the necessary technical expertise within your company. It saves you from immense stress and unnecessary costs. Though it may seem risky, you have to put your trust and money into the people you’ve never known before and wait for either success or failure.