Backlinks are hyperlinks from one website to another. It may also be named as incoming or inbound links from the end website perspective and as external, outgoing, or outbound links from the first website. The link can be to any web resource – a website or a web directory. For example, in this article, the following backlink is an outbound link to the web page about backlinks in Wikipedia; for the Wikipedia web resource, this link will be the incoming link.
The backlinks are essential for several reasons:
- Helps search engines rank web pages; the highest rank has the web page with more backlinks.
- Creates referral traffic, and web users can discover your website.
- Helps search engines to discover web pages faster.
For Google, backlinks became the foundation of their mapping algorithms and still remain a crucial factor for ranking. Therefore, if you want to be on the top of Google search results, you must organize backlinks from third-party websites to yours. Of course, it is always better to have links from different websites than from the same one. Indeed, backlinks are only one of the requirements for a high SERP (search engine results page); you need to perform a complete SEO analysis and follow its advice.
How do backlinks work?
All search engines are interested in high-quality backlinks. Their quality is determined by the topic relevance and authority of the website, making the backlink. Also, backlinks determine the validity of the website. That means the more backlinks you have to your website from popular and relative websites (like Forbes or Wikipedia), the better your website will be qualified by search engines in case of the relevant request.
You can check how backlinks work on your website – are they high-quality or not? There are numerous apps to check and monitor backlinks. For example, Google Console, after authorization, will provide you with the list of top linking sites, texts, and pages. You can, in detail, investigate how the link works, from which website, and where precisely the backlink is. With other apps, you can perform backlinks monitoring for any URL; it is an exciting task for analyzing your competitors and the average estimated number of backlinks for high ranking.
Backlinks benefits and drawbacks
The drawback of this system is related to the new websites or websites with backlinks from low authority websites; you likely will be at the end of any search result lists. If your website is brand new but already has hundreds of backlinks, search engines will treat you as phishing content.
It would help if you created a backlink profile as naturally as possible. You need to correctly choose anchors where the hyperlink will be inserted; an anchor text is a visible part of the link. Such anchors should be your niche’s most usable search request (target keywords). You may use Google Ads Keyword Planner for keyword planning or brainstorming. The other drawback is that all steps for proper backlinks are time-consuming. If you are a beginner in backlinks creation and do not have connections with bloggers, you might have to pay, and the result is not promised.
The benefit of this system is that even with one backlink from an authoritative website, you can boost the traffic to your website. Such incoming traffic is targeted, which means you will have good conversion. You can also attract other traffic potentially interested in your content by using related (not target) keywords. Another pro of backlinks is an increase in trust from users. If other resources mention your website and it has a high rank in Google, this increases credibility and brand awareness.
How to make backlinks work?
The process of obtaining backlinks and making them work is divided into three categories:
- Earn backlinks. This category represents the organic growth of links to your websites by people who are interested in your goods or service. You need to create high-quality content, engaging and informative, that will be valuable for a large audience. Normally, the most shared content nowadays are videos, TikToks, infographics, and blog posts. Other web resources naturally will insert backlinks to your website. This method of getting backlinks is the recommended one, as Google prefers natural backlinks and bans irrelevant ones.
- Create backlinks. This category is connected with the manual addition of backlinks to other websites in their forums, comments, or blogs. You need to perform research to choose the authoritative website. Such research can be performed in numerous free SEO tools and include such parameters (but not limited) as relevance to your niche, the volume of traffic, and website expertise.
- Build backlinks. The links in this category are created by other site owners or their teams after you ask them to link your website. You need to propose to the website owners a valuable product from your side or pay for the backlink. Many agencies propose services to create the required number of backlinks. This service is not free either.
Before you start creating backlinks, you must check the website infrastructure, user experiences, and the quality of images and video; quick to load, includes engaging posts, and works seamlessly on desktop and mobile devices. In addition, you should be sure that your website can sell the product and service. In fact, all this information is included in the quality performed SEO analysis.
As you see, backlinks are essential for your website ranking. Even though only Google has more than 200 factors in determining ranks, backlinks are the most important to determine any website’s validity, authority, and relevance. To promote your website, you need to have a lot of organic links from reputable resources with a high level of domain authority, but do it carefully as there are some rules, and you should understand how the system works.
The easiest way to organize a backlink is to contact the owner of an expert blog in your niche. You can start from one or two under special apps’ constant backlinks monitoring. Another possibility to check the effectiveness of your backlinking strategy is to perform an SEO audit. Effective backlinks take time, but you must have them to receive a high SERP. High SEPR means high traffic and, in the end, profit from your website.