It is true that by commenting on other blogs, you can effectively get traffic to your blog. But, another truth is that blog commenting is one of the most abused and misused methods of blogging on the web. Blog commenting must be used as a daily blogging practice that can increase your traffic remarkably. It will also enable you to create many close relationships and build loyal fans, but there are many misconceptions about how to utilize blog commenting in an efficient manner and what makes it highly effective.
So, let us begin with how and why blog commenting on other blogs work and what you can do to drive the maximum amount of referral traffic from your commenting efforts.
How does blog commenting work?
Blog commenting functions by drawing interest to you as well as your business via the interaction you create and thoughtful comments you make on other blogs that are related to your niche.
Commenting provides you the opportunity to demonstrate your sincerity, knowledge, and expertise. The comments you make reveal who you are and the nature of your work.
The more useful, helpful and intelligent your comments are the more you get noticed by other bloggers. However, if your comments are unrelated, worthless spam, this won’t happen at all. Here, spam indicates that the comments provide no value to the post or the readers. Most of the unrelated comments are made for getting a backlink to the commenter’s site.
As stated above, many unscrupulous bloggers make use of commenting as a way to develop one-way links backs to the blogs they own or the ones they are working for. However, the spammers fail to realize that the reputable bloggers won’t publish those spammy comments.
As a matter of fact, the backlinks that come from blog footers, sidebars and comments carry very less search engine weight when compared with the links you get from high-quality sites within their content. You might now wonder why do blog commenting at all?
To build social relationships
Making useful, thoughtful comments on niche related blogs can get you more traffic when compared with relying on search engines for linking back to your site. But, the real beauty that lies underneath this blog commenting on other blogs is the building of healthy relationships.
Readers will visit your blog if they get inspired. If they get attracted to the content of your blog, they can comment there as well. You, in turn, can visit their blog exchanging thoughts and comments. You would have become friends before you know it. This often leads to content exchanges, regular traffic, and more sales, hopefully, more profit.
With your blog, you are now building a social community attracting regular traffic and more readers. This is all you need to know about blog commenting. You must now be able to understand that the way in which you use blog commenting is what makes the real difference.
How do you make use of blog commenting to drive traffic to your blog?
First timers must comment responsibly. They must spend time in reading the blog posts and make proper comments in relation to the post. The comments that are blatant sales pitches or off-topic will not only turn off the readers, but that comment will get deleted by the blog owner. I must ask to read a post on “How to get your comments approved easily?“
Offer opinions, ideas, and insights in your comment that readers will find useful. This builds your credibility and demonstrates your knowledge and expertise. It would be better if you personally address the author of the blog post. Always thank your host for giving you the opportunity to comment on his site and end with sincerity of thought.
Below here are few key tips to make sure your comments get posted. They will help in increasing the chances of others clicking through to your blog depending on your comment.
- Write a minimum of 2 to 3 quality sentences that a reader finds insightful and interesting.
- You can be controversial, but you cannot be offensive at the same time. You can pose a question if you are unclear about something in the post as others may also be feeling the same. You can mention anything if you find it incorrect or if you don’t agree with something. But, you must say it with respect and tact.
- In the ‘name’ section of the comment, you must use your real name. You are allowed to put a keyword phrase as a name by a few blogs but not all of them. Your real name will add a personal touch.
- It is better to use a picture gravatar as it adds an element of sincerity and trust.
- Pointless comments like “Your site has everything that I need to know,” “Great info,” and “Love your post” must be avoided. Bloggers don’t look for flattery. They love it when a value is added to the topic.
- Refrain yourself from including links to sales pages. Make comments only with the intention of building relationships, helping other readers and adding value.
- Never make comments that don’t make any sense. The comments that don’t directly relate to the post and contain spelling errors, poor grammar or wrong information will get deleted. So, use some good tools for checking Grammar and spelling mistakes like I am using Grammarly.
Use DISQUS for Commenting on other Blogs
There are many commenting WordPress plugins which You can use, but DISQUS is also good for commenting. Numerous blogs are using Disqus these days for their commenting. You will get some traffic for it even though this does not have a direct link to your blog. Over time, you can enhance your credibility by building up your Disqus portfolio.
Use of CommentLuv WordPress Plugin
If you are using WordPress for Your Blog than CommentLuv Plugin can help you to get more comments on your WordPress blog. There are millions of WordPress Blogs which are using commentLuv for their blogs. And you can see this Blog is also Using it. And Also we have a list of CommentLuv blogs which can help to build some good quality links.
Blog commenting requires dedication and time like blogging. Set aside time for doing it at least once in a week. Spend some time commenting on blogs that are relevant to the particular industry. It will take more time in researching about these blogs in the beginning but create a spreadsheet, and you will have a list of high-quality blogs eventually to visit on an ongoing basis.
Blog commenting can be an ideal strategy if you are looking to drive traffic to your blog without depending upon spammy tactics or search engines. It develops trust, credibility, builds relationships, creates an opportunity to help others and this is what draws others to you.